Kermanshah IAU Library
As a sub-section of the deputy of research and technology, and in order to provide appropriate grounds for teachers and student to carry out research, the library was first established in 1367 on the establishment of the university which was then located in a rental building in Jomhuri-e-Eslami square. The library held only 500 books with only one staff in an area of 12 square meters. Little by little as the university expanded both quantitatively and qualitatively, the library expanded. With the construction of phase one of the university which is located in Bagh-e-Ney, the library was moved to a 24-square-mere area. Later on when the deputy of research and technology was allocated an separate building in 1378, the library was given an area of 720 square meters of which 420 square meters was allocated to office work and book bank and 300 square meters to study area. In 1383, when the faculty of literature 2 was established in Imam Khomeini (RA) Complex located in Motakhassesin-e-Faza’ei town, an area of 550 square meters was added to the library. With the construction of the central library building in 1387, the library enjoys an area of 4000 square meters in a three-story building, and is considered the largest academic library in the west of Iran. It gives service to its users and consists of the following sections.
Management, cataloging and preparation, reference section, lending and study area for boys (second floor), lending and study area for girls (third floor), journals, theses and dissertations section, digital library and profiles of articles on the net, reparations and binding section, book store and postal services office.
The university library management like any other management is in charge of planning, organizing, guiding, controlling, leading the library. All the decisions concerning the macro-plans of the library, providence to further the aims of the library in accordance with the advances made in technology, issuing the license to makes purchase of all the requirements of the library, including research grant, current budget, and following up and implementing all the office work of the library are made in this section of the library.
Since its establishment, the following people have been in charge of managing the library.
Ms. Shahin Karami from 1368 to 1373, Ms. Turan Bagheri from 1373 to 1375, Ms. Elham Ayandi from 1375 to 1376, Ms. Hayedeh Rasuli from 1376 to 1381, Mr. Farid Masudi from 1381 to 1382, Mr. Seyyed Jalal Hosseinpur from 1382 to 1392, and Mr. Aliakbar Kordi from 1392 to 1393.
Right now Mr. Abbas Qomashi is the manager of the library at IAUKSH branch. He has finished his primary school, guidance school and high school studies in Langrud and get into Sistan and Baluchestan University 1375 to do his B.Sc. in Applied Mathematics and graduated in 1379. He continued his post-graduate studies majoring in Applied Mathematics, research in Operations and graduated in 1383 and finally in 1389 he managed to get into Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch to do his PhD in Applied Mathematics, research in Operations. He joined the IAUKSH branch as faculty member in 1386.
Cataloging and preparation
The technical and cataloging section which is located on the ground floor of the library building, prepares the books, registers them in the library registry books, and prepare the Bibliographic information such as their descriptive and analytic contents. This section is divided into two sections: a section in charge of selecting and ordering printed and non-printed materials, and a section in charge of organizing the materials (cataloging section). The responsibilities of these sections are as follows:
Selection and ordering printed and non-printed materials section
Collecting requests for purchasing references, processing them to avoid duplicates, prioritizing them and finally registering the references is done in this section
Organizing the material (cataloging section)
Organizing the materials including preparing the descriptive and analytic contents f the materials is done in this section. Cataloging is done by following the Anglo-American rules of cataloging and using the library of congress. Cataloging is done using computers and running the Simorgh Software online.
This section is connected to the Net and uses the library of congress and the national library to catalogue the books. Appropriate technical and cataloging instruments are available at this section.
The Repository section
The repository of the library is located on the ground floor of the library and with a capacity of more tha 400 000 book volumes, it has an area of more than 600 square meters. All the books here are non-reference and provides closed-system services. The books are arranged based on the library of congress system.
Receiving orders from Boys and girls lending area are directed here. After checking the orders and if the books is not lent out, the staff will send the books up through and electric lift to its intended area so that the user can borrow it out. The returned books are also sent here form the lending area so that they could be put away back in their appropriate places on the shelves. Books which are directed here from the technical and cataloging section will be placed on their appropriate places on the shelves based of the library of congress system.
The reference section which is located on the ground floor has duties such as placing an order for and taking care of references, dictionaries, encyclopedias, manuscripts, atlases, maps, and valuable and precious books. The materials here are organized following the library of congress code and users have direct access to the shelves. All the books have barcode labels and all checking and shelf-reading are done through barcode readers.
Lending and study area
Lending and study area is divided into two areas: lending and study area for boys with a capacity of 400 students on the first floor, and lending and study area for girls with a capacity of 300 students i=on the second floor. This sections is completely mechanized and there are barcode readers which record all library user membership information and books information on the computers. The users can search for and take out the books using The Simorgh software. Taking out or returning a books can be done in two ways.
1. In person: the user searches for a book using one of the computers and places an order for the book. The order is sent to the book repository and if it’s available it will be sent up through an electric lift. The books will be registered on the users name in the system.
2. Off-campus: the user visits the library website www.lib.iauksh.ac.ir and goes to the search for and renting a book. After searching for the book and placing an order for the book, the user enter her/his account using a password which was given to him or her when the user had applied for membership. The book will be booked for the user and sent to him/her through post.
Journals, theses and dissertations section
This section located on the second floor of the library building is in charge of placing an order for and maintaining foreign and domestic journals, theses and dissertations, and newspapers. The service in this section is open-shelf. All the theses and dissertations are cataloged and their abstracts are available on the library website. Moreover, the bibliographic information for the journals is both descriptively and analytically available on the computer and can be accessed through the Simorgh software. This section is connected to the Web and some of the journal subscriptions are made online.
Reparation and binding
This section is responsible for repairing and binding all the books which are torn. It is also in charge of binding all the journals, theses, dissertations, filed student scores, and newspapers. Previously all the binding was done manually, but currently advanced instruments with electric cutting and press, digital display and professional inlay are used to do the binding.